My new BF, my Shiv from Specialized, and I went on our first date last week. We dropped by All Terra for my first bike fit with him. There to greet me was owner, Edmund Mangaser, and Coach Andy Leuterio.
The Shiv was placed into the trainer while I changed into my bike shoes. Newbie me didn’t know that I should’ve come in biking attire. Whoops! Edmund told me that I was the first one he’d ever bike fit in casual clothes. Hey, there’s a first for everything, Edmund!
THE BIKE FIT PROCESS
1) Edmund measured my inseam. This gave him an idea what saddle height he would start me with.
2) Using a goniometer, he adjusted the saddle to a height that gave me a leg bent angle of 35 degrees of flexion. A height that wasn’t too high for newbies, but would still allow for good leg extension.
3) Edmund then adjusted the saddle fore/aft position. He adjusted my saddle forward to allow me to use my aero bars without bending too much from the waist. He also made sure that when the pedal is at 3 o’clock position, my legs can apply power to the pedals.
4) Next was saddle tilt. He simply positioned the saddle at a level position.
5) Lastly, he worked on the cockpit area. He made adjustments to the front end (handle bar/aero bars) to put me in aero position and to allow my arms to support my head weight well especially when I start assuming a tucked aero position.
Beyond the bike fit, Edmund gave practical tips on biking which I greatly appreciated. He reminded me that the bike fit is a work-in-progress. It cannot be perfected in just one meeting. Ultimately, I must return every now and then to make adjustments as I progress.
Before leaving, Edmund revealed that we had actually worked together before. Confused, I asked where. He handed me a brochure for an ad I did one or two years ago. Turns out, he was the biker with me in the brochure. We never met because our shoots were done separately. Small world!
– Me (and my teeny-weeny waist. Thanks to photoshop and BDO!) and Edmund on the BDO Rewards Book –
G/F Club 650 Sports Center, Libis QC
3/L Sports Loop, Robinsons Galleria
Ortigas Home Depot (beside Secondwind), J. Vargas, Pasig