2011 was one hell of a roller coaster ride for me complete with double loops and hair-raising moments. But, it was definitely a year with bountiful blessings that I’m thankful for. Here’s what made 2011 a great year for running for me:
(1) Races of all shapes and sizes. There were huge, well-organized, near perfect races as well as small fun runs that I had the pleasure of participating in. I thank all the race organizers and the people who work behind each race to make it memorable and safe for all of us runners. It’s no joke to stage an event and I do believe each runner should be grateful for each experience. If there’s a flaw or a mishap, then raise the issues with respect and in the proper forum. My personal favorites were: Condura Skyway Marathon, Run United, adidas King of the Road, and Mommy Milkshake Fun Run.
(2) TBR Dream Marathon 2011. TBR Dream Marathon will always be one of the biggest highlights of each year for me. It’s a fave race that I’ll never get to run, but one where I have the great fortune of witnessing first- and second-time marathoners achieve their dreams. Most of TBR Dream alumni go on to become my good friends in running, too. Just one of the many gifts from TBR Dream that’s worth all the sweat and tears that comes into organizing it. Looking forward to see our 3rd batch cross that 42km finish line!
(3) Meeting celebs and legends! I had the pleasure of meeting legendary runner Jeff Galloway, getting international star Apl .de. Ap of Black Eyed Peas to grace TBR Magazine cover, rubbing elbows with Coach Erik Spoelstra, and last but not the least, speaking with Congressman Manny Pacquiao!
(4) Traveling! Oh boy, the runs and the travels! Thanks to Women’s Health for taking me to Boracay for Beauty and the Beach for it’s 2nd Anniversary. Thanks to Mitch Felipe, Armand Mendoza, and Misibis Bay for inviting me to the Misibis Bay Fitness Escape. Thanks to Francis Velasquez and Jeffrey Ang of Circle Productions for taking us to Cagayan de Oro and Bukidnon. I flew to Bohol with the family too. Thanks to Guam Visitors Bureau and EON for taking me to Guam for the awesome Guam Koko Road race.
Special thanks to Gatorade for flying me off to New York to participate in my 2nd ING New York City Marathon. I ended the year with a wonderful trip to San Francisco and Sacramento for the California International Marathon, too.
(5) Trying to Tri. So, I got my feet wet (a bit) and found out that I could seriously enjoy the triathlon world. Thanks to The Next Step Tri Camp for allowing me to be saling pusa in their camp. I had a blast there bonding with Team Hammer friends. I also got a swim coach with teammates Adel, Bic, and Jake and learned to love the water. Running and marathons got in the way this 2011 (as they always do because it’s pretty evident that running is my love!), but I hope to get more into triathlon this coming year.
(6) Humble running achievements such as breaking my half marathon PR at Run United 1 with the help of running buddy, Alvin, and finishing a total of 7 marathons by the end of this year. There’s still so many goals to reach, so many roads to cover, and oh so many marathons to run!
(7) Partnering with Sun Broadband and Cherifer Premium. Thank you to Sun and Cherifer for the trust and the support in helping me get more people to run! Thanks also to Hammer Nutrition, Oakley, and Gatorade for the support!
There’s only one thing I’d like to happily bid goodbye to this 2011. Good riddance to Morton’s Neuroma which hit me in May and practically bugged me for the rest of the year. Boo to you for making me missing Phuket Marathon! I look forward to not seeing you this 2012!
May the coming year bring you lots of joy, laughter, bliss, and good health as you cover more kilometers on the road! Hope to bump into you soon!