On December 6, 2009, a unique 10-mile race will be staged at the historical island of Corregidor. Here are 8 reasons why I wish I could “Conquer Corregidor” had I not signed up for Singapore Marathon on the same day:
- Historical course. How often can you run a race while learning more about the country’s past? The course will start at the Malinta Tunnel and take runners through the trails and rolling hills of the island. I’ve never been to Corregidor and I think it’s hitting two birds with one stone if I could tour and race! (Bonus: the island will be closed to regular tourists on race day.)
- Challenging course. Having used the word “tour,” don’t expect the race to be a stroll in the park. I heard the rolling hills in the island will, uhm, give you a thrilling experience.
- Scenic view. They say the view of Manila Bay and the South China Sea is breathtaking near the finish line. Take a break from the usual concrete roads of the city and treat your eyes to a more spectacular sight.
- Limited number of participants. There are only 750 slots available. This won’t be a chaotic, overcrowded city race, more like an out-of-town adventure race for those who are willing to explore.
- Reasonable fee. The fee of P1,000 covers roundtrip ferry to and from Corregidor, entrance to the island, lunch buffet on race day, and race singlet. Not bad, eh?
- Nice singlet. Love the singlet design. Simple yet classy. See below.
- Family affair. You have the option to convert the race into a family trip. If you wish to stay overnight with the whole family in tow, you can book your hotel accommodations along with the race registration for a discounted rate of P1,500 per night.
- TBR Magazines to read on the ferry. TBR Magazines will be distributed upon entrance to the ferry on the way to Corregidor island. (Sorry, shameless plug!)
I’ll be in Corregidor this weekend to run the route. I’m pretty sure I can add a few more items to this list come Saturday!
Now, to make things more exciting (and as a reward for reading this far), I’ll be giving away two (2) round trip ferry rides to Corregidor and overnight accommodations and meals for two from Dec. 5 to 7, 2009. Stay tuned for the contest!
- Registration runs from November 9 to 29 at Second Wind in Maginhawa St, UP Village and R.O.X. in Bonifacio High Street.
- P1,000 covers roundtrip ferry to and from Corregidor, entrance to the island, lunch buffet on race day, and race singlet.
- For details, call 409-2948.
- Download registration form: CONQUER CORREGIDOR REG FORM.
Click to read PRESS RELEASE.
Click here to read FACT SHEET.
Conquer Corregidor is presented by Hypehouse Production Company and Sun Cruises, in partnership with Inquirer.net, Takbo.ph, RunRadio in NU107, TheBullRunner.com, Activelink, Second Wind, and R.O.X.