Our 2nd Bull Circle packed the corner of R.O.X. again last March 10 as over 150 runners arrived for Coach Jim Saret’s talk on “Getting the Body Marathon Ready.”
Our 1-hour session extended to over 2 hours as Coach Jim caught the runners’ interest with his interactive discussion and demonstration on balance and core training for runners.
What I learned in this session:
- BALANCE is important for runners! With each step, one foot is on the ground and another in the air. One leg is at work to carry your body weight and keep you balanced. If you lack balance, one leg will have to work harder just to keep you balanced.
- HOW TO DEVELOP BALANCE: single leg stabilization drills
- Runners should focus on strengthening the CORE. Focus on doing more core training rather than crunches, weight training, or plyometrics.
- HOW TO ACTIVATE THE CORE: suck your belly button in!
- HOW TO STRENGTHEN THE CORE: stability ball exercises, balance disc, planks
– Why is balance important for runners? Click on the video to find out –
* Thanks to Armie for some of the photos!
For those who missed the very informative talk, we have more videos coming up on youtube. Search for The Bull Runner.