Fort Striders Run and a Little Bit More

Monday, 13 September 2010  |  Race Reports


DETAILS: Sept. 12, 2010, Bonifacio High Street


– nice route
– simple but attractive singlet
– enough marshals
– directional signs and kilometer markers
– loot bag with bananas, Pocari Sweat, plus free Goody ponytail holders (I like!)

– started late
– sudden gun start for 5k/ 10k
– could’ve had more water stations

An annual event by one of the more popular running clubs, Fort Striders, I expected not much fanfare, but a well-organized race much like the past couple of races they staged in previous years. The Fort Striders Run was once again clean and simple with an enjoyable course and enough marshals along the route although there could’ve been more water and sports drink stations lining the course. The only negative about this race? The late and confusing start for 5k/ 10k runners. All else was fine and dandy.



Life has been moving at breakneck speed with more work, heavier training, and a slew of events to attend. Don’t forget the kiddos who always demand the most time from me—and are always top priority.

Due to the chaotic schedule, I didn’t have any plans of joining a race for the weekend. After all, I had work on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. I wasn’t crazy enough to squeeze in a race to make life more complicated! I did know that I would have to cover the 22km long run required by my NYC Training Program.


Hubby, Lit, JunC, Mariel and I met at 4:30 am to run long on Saturday morning. I advised them that I had to leave by 6:30 am. Either we start early, run fast, or both, I thought.

Time flew quickly during this run. It was definitely due to great conversation.

Since I had to rush off to a meeting, hubby and I could only run until 6:30 a.m. We ran the last 10 minutes as quick as we could. Good thing Lit switched to Chi-running-instructor mode during the last 3 minutes. He asked me to lean more, let gravity pull me, loosen my shoulders and my ankles and off I went at 4:30/km during the last few hundred meters. When we slowed to a stop, the absence of the usual panting and exhaustion that comes from sprinting was noticeable. I could speak straight and I didn’t feel too tired. Aaack, it was awesome. It made me an even bigger believer of Chi running.

Despite the sprint though, I covered only 18k, 3k short of my target. I knew I had to make up for it the next day. So, we signed in for the FS Run the following day.  Apparently, I am crazy.


I woke up to realize that I would be running alone that morning. Hubby wasn’t feeling well. By 4:30 a.m., I was parked at Bonifacio High Street ready to run a few rounds before the race started.

Wait a minute. When was the race going to start anyway? A friend said 5 to 5:30 a.m. But, another one said it was 5:45. Later on, they said it was moved to 6:15. Unbelievable. I had to be in Ultra by 7 a.m. That meant I had to run a 10k in 15 minutes. Duh.

By the time the race started, I was getting anxious about how late I was going to be. I didn’t get to enjoy much of the race as the only thing on my mind was: Let’s get this over and done with.

It felt like a tempo run to me. I ran fast, but didn’t give it my all. I particularly loved the uphills, which have just been my favorite kind of training the past few weeks. I practically crave for them each week.

According to my Garmin, I crossed the finish at 53:12 for an exact 10k distance. Average pace was 5:17/km.

I then rushed over to change, buy a Starbucks tuna pandesal for takeout, pulled out my low fat chocolate milk from the cooler (truly works for muscle recovery!), and drove to Ultra for a shoot I was 30 minutes late for. My average pace was probably 4:30/km doing all that.

What a hectic weekend! I am so relieved it’s over.