“I want to train for Southridge Run.” That’s what my son told me several days ago. Oh boy, you should’ve seen the smile on my face!
The thing is, I have no clue how to train a 9-year old. Initially, when TBR Jr. would sign up for fun runs, we would run/walk around the village a week or two before the race. The hubby and I just wanted him to experience races without any pressure, to have fun, and, of course, to love running the way we do. Deep inside, we hoped that he would eventually want to get serious about running. Well, I guess it worked!
I went ahead and sent an SMS to the best person in Manila to ask about training kids for runs/triathlons: Ironwoman Ani de Leon, the coach of the Super Tri Kids and Alaska Iron Kids. She advised me that we should train him by running 1k, then 2k, and finally 3k thrice a week. This is something we’re definitely doing…uhm, in between training for New York, that is!
Hope you can join the Southridge Run…just as our family is doing. Proceeds from the race will be used to buy 30,000 books to be donated to public schools in Muntinlupa. Registration is on-going.
WHAT: SOUTHRIDGE RUN
WHEN: Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 6:00 AM
WHERE: Westgate complex in Filinvest Corporate City Alabang
DISTANCE | FEES | PRIZES:
- 10k | P400 | Medals & prizes for top 3 male & female finishers
- 5k | P400 | Medals & prizes for top 3 male & female finishers
- 1k | P350 | Medals for ALL finishers 13 years old & below. Plus prizes for top 3 finishers in 2 age categories: 10 to13 years old and 9 years old & below
- Bonjour, Total Gas Station, Filinvest Corp. City (near West Gate entrance) – ongoing until Oct. 8, 2010, 9pm (extended). Open 24/7
- Onsite registration on October 9 from 5 am to 5:30 am