In 2010, when we planned for the first TBR Dream Marathon, the essence of the race was built on community, on paying-it-forward, on giving back to running just as much as running had given us. We knew we couldn’t do it alone and we hoped that the entire community of runners—first- and second-time marathoners committing to train for their marathon, experienced runners reaching out and paying-it-forward, cheerers and spectators coming onto the site to boost the runners’ spirits, corporate sponsors and friends generously donating and giving what they can—would come together to make this race truly the most ideal setting for runners to experience their first marathon. It was a lofty dream, but we—together with the entire community of selfless, generous runners—made it a reality.
For TBR Dream Marathon 2012, we will once again call on volunteers to help and support our first time marathoners. We will be accepting 60 Dream Chasers and 40 Personal Pacers. There will also be volunteers from Team Secondwind manning the station at the last 5km of the marathon, which we call The Secondwind Zone.
If you are NOT interested in running your own race on March 18, 2012 and you are willing to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to help others run 42km by providing them support, without receiving anything in return but a smile and a huge Thank You, then this is your chance to “pay it forward.”
Please see below for details on how you can volunteer at TBR Dream Marathon 2012:
[ DREAM CHASERS: 60 SLOTS ONLY ]
Dream Chasers are runners who will be stationed at various points on the course (4 stations with 15 Dream Chasers along the route) to provide support to the runners when they need it most. Dream Chasers will be given official Dream Chaser dri-fit shirts. This will serve as their official uniform. Must be an experienced runner, but not necessarily a marathoner.
* TBR Dream Alumni will be prioritized.
* Dream Chasers are required to attend the pre-race meeting to be announced by Edward Kho.
ROLE OF A DREAM CHASER:
1) Be on standby at the Dream Chaser station along with other Dream Chasers from start to finish of the race
* Each Dream Chaser station will have 15 Dream Chasers with one being the DC Leader
* Dream Chaser stations will be placed along the route much like water stations
* Each station will work as a team and may brainstorm on ways to make the run easier, more entertaining, or more fun for the runners. Ideas may be implemented with approval from TBR Dream Team.
2) Provide the following support to the TBR Dream Marathoners who request for help:
* Run with the runner a few kilometers (never exceeding more than 5km)
* Provide food or hydration
* Cheer! Cheer! Cheer!
QUALITIES WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN DREAM CHASERS:
* Serious passion for running
* Positive, pleasant, cheerful attitude
* Willing to provide exceptional moral support throughout the entire race
* Believes in “paying it forward” to first time marathoners who need the same support as he/she received in the past
[ PERSONAL PACERS: 40 SLOTS ONLY ]
Personal pacers must be experienced marathoners chosen by a TBR Dream Marathoner to run with him/ her throughout the entire marathon.
* Personal Pacers must register to be an official TBR DM Personal Pacer.
* Personal pacers will be charged a P500 fee to cover hydration, emergency, and other operational services and will be issued a race bib. The race bib will be distributed during a Pacer briefing organized by Edward Kho.
ROLE OF PERSONAL PACER:
* Pace one (1) registered participant throughout the entire 42km
* Your name must be “attached” to the name of a registered participant. Participant must accept you as his/her personal pacer
* Bikers not allowed. Pacer must be on foot.
[ Sign in sheet ]
Signing up to be a Dream Chaser or Personal Pacer is on a first come, first served basis, but organizer reserves the right to invite and prioritize runners and likewise reject applications. We will not accept reservations or special requests.
Please expect the accepted the names of accepted Dream Chasers and Pacers to be announced on both thebullrunner.com and tbrdream2012.com within this week. We will need ample time to screen and process the requests. Since these slots are in high demand, we apologize in advance to those who will not be accepted. While we wish we could accommodate all requests, we prioritize the safety and security of our TBR Dream Marathoners and limit the number of people on the course.
UPDATE: Link has been removed. Thanks to the 260 runners who signed up as volunteers! We’ll announce the accepted volunteers soon.