During our first Bull Session for TBR Dream Marathon 2013 earlier this morning, Coach Lit Onrubia mentioned seven books for those training for a marathon. Here they are along with his reasons for recommending them:
1) Running for Mortals by John Bingham
2) Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham
Both these books are incredibly inspirational. Bingham reminds us why we run and why we choose to do a marathon.
3) Making the Marathon Your Event by Richard Benyo.
This is a very honest, intelligent and practical book about how to run your best marathon, regardless of your goal.
4) Marathon: You Can Do it! by Jeff Galloway
5) Training Programs by Jeff Galloway
Both these books will help you internalize the Run-Walk-Run method as the master, himself, teaches you how and why.
6) Chi Running by Danny Dreyer
7) Chi Marathon by Danny Dreyer
Dreyer explains why form is the most crucial element of efficient and injury free running. He also includes training programs for how to improve your form and your performance with each run.
7) Marathon, the Ultimate Training Guide” (4th Edition) by Hal Higdon
This book is fairly new. The 4th and latest edition was released just last year. It’s a “5-tool” book, meaning, it covers everything you possibly need to know about marathon training. Higdon’s presentation is excellent, frequently polling tips and pointers from at least a dozen other veteran coaches to arrive at best practices for training as either a novice or an advanced runner.