HERO stands for Help Educate and Rear Orphans. HERO foundation provides educational stipend support to children of soldiers who are killed-in-action or are permanently incapacitated while in combat duty.
Since August 23, 1988, HERO has so far supported the education of more than 2,100 children and AFP orphans at various levels of education. About 798 orphans had already graduated in college.
Original founders include: late Pres. Corazon Aquino, former AFP Chief of Staff Gen. Renato de Villa, Don Jaime Zobel de Ayala, and other concerned businessmen. Current Board of Trustees include: Fernando Zobel de Ayala (Chairman), Gen Renato de Villa AFP (Ret) (Vice Chairman), Antonino T Aquino (President), Pinky Aquino, Ces Drilon of ABSCBN, Jun Bisnar of Ayala Land, Miguel Belmonte of Phil Star, Sandy Prieto Romualdez of Phil Daily Inquirer, Ton Concepcion of Condura and more.
TBR DREAM SUPPORTS HERO FOUNDATION
A portion of the proceeds raised from TBR Dream Marathon on March 20, 2011 will be donated to Hero Foundation. Beyond that, we’ve pledged to help by encouraging our TBR Dream Marathoners—and those who read this blog as well—to raise funds for HERO through their runs.
HOW DO YOU COLLECT PLEDGES?
- Announce to family, friends, and colleagues about the 42k you will run on March 20, 2011 (or any race you prefer). You can even do this via email. (No backing out now!)
- Inform them you are running not just for yourself, but also for orphans of Hero Foundation. Explain how they can help by pledging a specific amount for every kilometer you run. Example: P10 for every kilometer. P10 x 42 = P420 for the entire race. You decide on the amount.
- List down the names and corresponding pledge of each person.
- Train hard for TBR Dream Marathon…and try your darndest best to finish all 42 kilometers on March 20, 2011. (During the last 5k, it would help to think of all the kids you’ll help by crossing the finish line.)
- After you’ve recovered from your marathon, collect pledges and donate this to HERO Foundation in four ways:
- Deposit at BPI. Saving Account no. 000013-6263-32. Fax deposit slip to Gemma at Hero fax no. 913-1318
- Deposit at Landbank. Current Account no. 1672-1001-23. Fax deposit slip to Gemma at Hero fax no. 913-1318
- Send check to Hero office at Camp Aguinaldo. Contact Gen. Garcia or Gemma below
- Drop at HERO donation boxes in various Ayala Malls
For more info, you may contact the following: Gen. Renato M. Garcia (Executive Director) or Gemma (Chief Accountant) of HERO Foundation, Inc. Room 203, 2/F, AFPGIC Bldg., EDSA cor. B. Serrano St., Q.C.; tel no. 912-0361 or 912-9330.
For more information about HERO, click HERE to view website.