In the middle of reviewing both kids for their exams a couple of days ago, this stressed out mom couldn’t have received a better gift: an invitation from the lovely people of Misibis Bay to revisit their resort. Before I could answer “Yes!”, they added: Congressman Manny Pacquiao will be there, too.
Fast forward to two days after and here I am resting comfortably in one of Misibis Bay’s luxurious suites completely starstruck after spending time with the best boxer in the world, Cong. Manny Pacquiao, and wife Jinky.
MANNY PACQUIAO: THE RUNNER
While the rest of the press were eating and chatting earlier today, I managed to steal a long 5 minutes of one-on-one chit chat with Cong. Manny Pacquiao! Boy was I lucky!
What did we talk about? Running, of course!
I learned that Manny runs six times every morning of the week except Sundays. It’s in the afternoons, 1pm to 4pm, that he trains for boxing. He runs anywhere from 40 mins. to 1 hour and uses time as gauge rather than distance. His longest run to date has been 1 hour and 15 mins. He added that he loves hills and trains in Rizal when in Manila and Griffith Park when in the US.
Before I knew it, the rest of the press came to ask more questions.
While I was satisfied with learning about Manny’s running regimen, I was of course interested to hear what else he had to say on other matters:
* ON OTHER SPORTS ASDIE FROM BOXING: diving, jet ski, basketball, billiards, pingpong, badminton, and running
* ON WHAT SETS HIM APART FROM OTHER BOXERS: his faith in God. He prays the rosary daily nine days before each fight and offers mass before and after the fight
* ON HIS KIDS FOLLOWING IN HIS FOOTSTEPS: he started boxing at age 12 and he’s quite relieved that his kids are not at all interested in boxing
* ON HIS BOXING STRATEGY: There’s a lot of strategizing involved in boxing. It’s hard. But, if you plan it well, then it becomes easier.
* ON MOST VALUABLE MATERIAL ITEMS: his trophies and belts
* ON THE BEST INVESTMENT HE’S MADE: buying MP Tower, the first gym he trained in when he went to Manila. It was old and decrepit when he purchased it, but he tore it down and built a 7-story building
* ON RETIREMENT: No comment at all
Here’s a video of Manny explaining how he trains for his fights by analyzing his opponents:
MANNY PACQUIAO READS TBR
I couldn’t believe it. The Manny Pacquiao reading The Bull Runner Magazine. Faint!
Misibis Bay is located in Cagraray Island in Albay. It’s a 45 minute flight from Manila to Legazpi and less than an hour land trip from the airport to the resort. For more info, call 661-8888 loc 3007 or visit their website at www.misibisbay.com