Product Review: Kinesio Tex Gold & Muscle Tape
A couple of years ago, when I was often troubled by injuries, the therapist at Dr. Canlas’ clinic taped me up and I learned about Kinesio Taping. I wrote about it HERE.
Fortunately, through the years, I’ve wisened up (at least I’d like to think so) and with preventive care and management, I’ve managed to avoid getting injured again.
But, last week, I felt my ITB tightening up…again. There is only one word to describe how I felt last week: STRESSED.
I practiced caution and did all I could last week to nip this injury in the bud. First thing I did was to tape myself.
According to kinesotaping.ca, “Kinesio Taping gives support and stability to your joints and muscles without affecting circulation and range of motion. It is also used for Preventive Maintenance, Edema, and to treat pain.”
As in the past, kinesio taping always works for me. I can honestly say it helps to relieve the tightness or the occasional soreness I get on my left knee/ ITB. As I type this, my left ITB is taped up.
WHAT’S YOUR TAPE?
The past few months, I learned that there are several brands of tapes in the market, such as Kinesio Tex, KT Tape, and Muscle Tape. I had the pleasure of meeting the people behind MUSCLE TAPE and KINESIO TEX.
The local distributor of Muscle Tape, Riel Banaria, and I met a few months back. He was kind enough to give me a box of colorful samples and pre-cut samples for the knee, neck, and other key areas of injury.
– Pre Cut Muscle Tape for easy application –
According to Riel, Muscle Tape® is a “non-restrictive, elastic taping material which supports and normalizes the muscle function to provide improved joint stability. MUSCLE TAPE ® is designed to ensure muscles have free range of motion.”
I also met with Sanjo Gudalpas, the local distributor of Kineso Tex, and Jay Lopez, a licensed occupational therapist. They gave me a sample of Kinesio Tex Gold and we hopped on over to Runnr where Jay demonstrated how to apply the tape on my leg.
– Jay demos Kinesio Taping for common runners’ problems: ITB and Runner’s Knee –
Jay explained that Kinesio® Taping alleviates pain by lifting the skin. Pressure and irritation are taken off the neural and sensory receptors of the taped area of our body, which results in reduction of pain.
– we bumped into Coach Rio who was coincidentally feeling some back pain. He got taped too! –
According to its website, Kinesio® Tex Gold is the authentic tape product made exclusively for the Kinesio Taping® Method and designed and authorized by Dr. Kenzo Kase himself (founder of the Kinesio Taping Method).
It is used to re-educate the neuromuscular system, prevent injury, alleviate pain, enhance performance and promote improved circulation and healing.
MUSCLE TAPE VS. KINESIO TEX
After testing both products, here’s what I observed:
– effective, definitely helps loosen up tight muscles
– offers pre-cut packages with clear directions on how to apply for specific injuries
– comes in a variety of colors – beige, pink, blue
– cheaper than Kinesio Tex
– comes off easily – While these tapes are said to come off in 3 to 4 days. Muscle Tape slowly peels off in one day. The edges of the tape gradually unravel and fray, which is inconvenient especially if it starts sticking to your pants or shorts.
– leaves a residue – When pulled off your skin, it leaves a residue which can easily be removed with baby oil
– effective – Compared with Muscle Tape, I thought the quality of the tape was much better. I felt like this tape was stronger and tugged a bit tighter on the skin.
– adhered to the skin well lasting for over 2 days without fraying
– no sticky residue upon removal
– they recommend that a certified Kinesio Tape practitioner tape you to ensure that it is done properly
– comes in beige, pink, blue and black
– more expensive than Muscle Tape
My personal choice would be Kinesio Tex Gold for its effectiveness, high-quality, and durability. But, if you’re on a tight budget, Muscle Tape will still be effective without burning a hole in your pocket.
WHAT DO THE EXPERTS SAY?
Experts are still undecided about the real benefits of Kinesio Taping. I know Dr. Canlas uses Muscle Tape in his clinic. Coach Jim Saret says there is no scientific evidence to prove it works.
For me, I know it’s been effective so I continue to use it and recommend it to injured friends. Should you decide to try taping, it’s best to consult a doctor or have a licensed therapist show you how it’s done.
WHERE TO BUY
Kinesio Tex Gold – P950. Available at Tobys Sports and Hobbies, Runner, Intercare Clinics, Cancio Chiroparactic Clinic and other dealers nationwide. www.shalimarsportsintl.com
Muscle Tape – Precuts – P120 | Rolls – P630. Available at Runnr, all Tobys Sports, all Chris Sports, Landmark Department Storem Juego Sports and Sports Hub.
FOR MORE INFO
Download the following PDF files by clicking below:
About Kinesio Taping
Muscle Tape Product Description
Muscle Tape FAQ